A federal judge sentenced Aimee Bock to more than 40 years in prison Thursday for her role as the ringleader of what prosecutors describe as the largest pandemic fraud case in the nation.
The 500-month sentence comes after a jury last year found Bock guilty on multiple criminal counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery. The judge also ordered Bock to repay nearly $243 million to the federal government.
The fraud scheme, which operated through an organization called Feeding Our Future in Minnesota, diverted tens of millions of dollars in government funding that was intended to feed hungry children during the pandemic. Prosecutors presented evidence that Bock orchestrated the elaborate scheme, which ultimately reached a quarter of a billion dollars in fraudulent claims.
“Aimee Bock didn’t participate in fraud, she orchestrated it, profited on it,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Rebeca Kline told the court before sentencing. Prosecutors had requested a 50-year sentence, arguing that the scandal “has done great damage to the state.”
During Thursday’s hearing, Bock addressed the court with what appeared to be contrition. “I don’t have the words to express just how horrible I feel,” she said. “I know I’m responsible. It’s never been my goal to shift responsibility. I understand I failed to protect the program I was supposed to protect.”
However, the judge noted during sentencing that Bock “acted as a gatekeeper” and “had an integral role in planning the scheme.” The court also stated that Bock had lied on the stand during her trial, a finding that likely influenced the severity of the sentence.
Bock’s defense attorney, Kenneth Udoibok, characterized his client’s actions as “a case of gross negligence” rather than intentional fraud. He suggested that Bock believed she was providing opportunities for participants to contribute positively to the program, though this argument failed to persuade the court.
The case took an additional troubling turn when prosecutors accused Bock of leaking protected documents while in custody. Court filings indicate that Bock used recorded jail calls to instruct her son to send case-related documents to political figures and media outlets. Some of these materials allegedly contained protected witness information. A judge described these actions as “really disturbing” during an April hearing.
Prosecutors cited this alleged lack of accountability and remorse as additional reasons for seeking a lengthy sentence. The defense maintained that Bock believed more individuals should be investigated in connection with the scheme and that she was willing to cooperate with authorities.
Dozens of other individuals have been convicted in connection with the Feeding Our Future fraud operation. The scope and scale of the scheme represents a significant breach of public trust during a time when many American families faced genuine hardship.
“The state of Minnesota will never be the same because of Bock,” Kline said Thursday, underscoring the lasting impact of the fraud on public confidence in government assistance programs.
The case serves as a stark reminder of the vulnerabilities in emergency funding programs and the need for robust oversight mechanisms to protect taxpayer dollars intended for the nation’s most vulnerable citizens.
Related: Elderly California Man Critically Injured in Attack Outside Home Known for Political Displays
