Officials from Boston said on Tuesday that they do not believe the accident was intentional. The number of injured has been updated to six, including the driver, and one person is in critical condition.
Original Story:
An unknown number of pedestrians were injured in Boston on Tuesday afternoon when a truck struck them. At least two of the victims are in critical condition.
There are very few details available at this time.
The number of people injured in the incident at the intersection between Harrison Avenue and Kneeland Street reported around 12:48 pm was not immediately known, according to Boston police, who said that the investigation is still very young.
When asked if it appeared that the incident was accidental, the spokesperson said only that the investigation is very active.
Firefighters were able to free the trapped truck driver from the cab. According to the Boston Fire Department, the vehicle was stuck in the middle of a building and had been damaged by multiple poles.
The truck’s driver, who was wearing the “Penske logo,” appears to have struck multiple objects and is now wedged between what looks like a Chinese Restaurant and a lamppost.
First responders surrounded a yellow rental box truck that was on its side. Broken glass and infrastructure damage were nearby, as well as taped-off areas around the truck.
According to the police, the road was closed between Washington and Tyler streets. This area is located near Boston’s Chinatown.
A social media user claims that at least five people were hit. This has not yet been confirmed.
All five patients are now in hospitals. The condition of each patient is still unknown. The police have not yet said if the incident was accidental, caused by a breakdown, or intentional.
The authorities have only used “multiple” as a way to describe the injuries, but they haven’t given an exact figure. The authorities have also not stated if this tragedy is considered accidental or deliberate.